Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mixed Media, mixed up artist??

To define where one journeys as an artist is to define where destiny takes one's life. It is impossible. I started out drawing the human figure. I loved the first drawing class that I took. It was overwhelming but somehow drawing, perspective, the dynamic of the human form came easy to me. I saw the relationship of negative space right away. I loved the quick studies when one had to sketch five minute poses. It took away the clutter and forced me to focus on the essence of the subject. I look at some of my early work. Some good, some not so good but I am surprised at the result, given that I had had no formal training before that class.

I have found that artists provide a great circle of support for one another. Yes, we critique but we also study each other's work, find great inspiration and knowledge from that. I marvel at the creative mind of others and the inventiveness of their concepts and the ability to stimulate our curiosity and wonder.



It is sometimes difficult for me to stay on track with my art. I am constantly reinventing myself as an artist. I have explored the different media in art; pastel portraits, oil landscapes and then watercolor. I am now doing more collage work, specifically, chine colle' or chinese collage. Perhaps right now I find it fun and interesting because it takes me back to my childhood days of cut and paste. Nevertheless, art is self exploration for me. I haven't found my niche yet but I sure am having a great time with it.....sort of like life, isn't it?

No comments: