Friday, September 5, 2008

The "Art" of living

Creative, artistic work has always been the mainstay of my life, having been a professional writer and actress in earlier years. I took up painting later in life to work through some difficult times in my personal life and found a world of fulfillment and challenges. Sort of like golf...which I also took up in later years. But that's another story.

I went on a creative artists' retreat to unlock a writer's block and discovered the world of art and the exciting response of color on paper. I began studying art first at a life drawing class in Glendale, California. Some of my fellow classmates included some retired Disney animators and through their mentorship and wonderful support, I became interested and then excited about painting. I continue to study and attend workshops.

I retired from a very left-brained job as a Financial Aid Administrator and embarked on a second career...my long dormant art career. I am currently exploring mixed media and collage as new venture. I love working with children and animals. I find both subjects incredibly open and honest in their expressions.

My parallel and sometimes roller coaster life continues with it's surprises, disappointments and extraordinary moments of delight. I am the proud grandmother of seven and that fills my life with those extraordinary moments. My husband has been diagnosed with early stage Alzheimers within the past year and I am making the most of our life together. My children are my pillars of support and strength.

And of course, there are the times I lose myself in the brush strokes and the vibrant colors of paint on canvas.

Art began as therapy for me; it is now food for my soul.

3 comments:

Adalia Savic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Two Blogs. You go girl. I'll keep checing back.

Diana said...

This is a great start. It is definitely therapy to express yourself in so many ways: through your writing and art. I can't wait to hear more!
Your niece, Diana